Foot massage with varicose veins: when it is done, effectiveness, contraindications
In this article, you will learn: how effective is massage for varicose veins, if it can help cure varicose veins. When used procedure, how it works. Features of classical and lymph drainage massage, contraindications to the procedure.
Varicose veins certain massage techniques really help to reduce swelling of the tissues and thus eliminate the physical constriction of blood vessels. The goal is the most gentle mechanical action (stroking, light pressure palm) to enhance the flow of interstitial fluid, and lymph flow (the movement of lymphatic fluid through the vessels).
As a result, the procedure helps to reduce pain, relieve fatigue, swelling, prevent the appearance of spider veins and reticular mesh, but will not remove the already existing manifestations of varicose veins. An added bonus during a massage can be considered as improved blood flow and breathing muscle and of the skin, allowing enhanced recovery and the tone of the vascular walls.
Optimal methods of massage for varicose veins is a classic therapeutic and lymphatic drainage. The first method is often used as a preventive measure, and in the process exclude any mechanical influence on the affected vessels or vascular network that is clearly seen through the skin. The second method is used for treatment of the initial stages varicose veins, it is based on a slow study of large clusters of lymph nodes and vessels of the body.
Finally to cure varicose veins the massage impossible. When the primary manifestations of the disease (severity, fatigue, tension, swelling in the legs by the end of the day) any of the methods effective for strengthening the vascular walls and helps to stop the development of pathology. After the appearance of visible veins and the deformed mesh of nodes, the disease may be complicated by the possible separation of the clot and is a direct contraindication to any kind of mechanical action on blood vessels.
Quality against varicose veins massages can make any doctor who graduated from the courses. However, due to the nature of the disease it is better to consult physician and only after consultation with medicus-flebolog.
When used massage for varicose veins
Under varicose veins suffer not only the lower limbs, although this is the most common type of the disease. Can be affected veins of the small pelvis, genitals, uterus, rectum (hemorrhoids), stomach and esophagus.
Disease of the internal organs are usually diagnosed accidentally when the deformation of the veins well expressed. Because of their anatomical location and late diagnosis, a massage effect for varicose veins of the internal organs are not used, because it is inefficient and is more likely to damage than to improve the condition of the patient.
The procedure typically prescribed for varicose veins of the lower extremities, for the prevention and treatment of the earliest manifestations of the disease. Use two types of massage: classic, therapeutic and lymphatic drainage, both species differ from each other with complex movements, but for any of the varieties of varicose veins, the massage therapist uses the same techniques.
All types of varicose veins are equally dangerous complications such as thrombosis (formation of clot in blood vessels), thrombosis (blockage by blood clots) and thromboembolism (death as a result of detachment of a blood clot), so when expressed deformations of the veins of any massage is absolutely contraindicated.
Course check with your doctor and be sure to observe the manifestations of varicose veins: if the number of spider veins is not increased, does not appear to be hematomas (bruises), the patient feels relieved, then the process goes in the right direction.
How does massage
The main task of the therapist is to study the surface of the limb soft, the most gentle movements, starting from the hip and ending with stop. With varicose veins the massage in any case should not be intense, warping, slashing, or sharp, as increased fragility of vascular walls leads to appearance of hemorrhage and hematomas.
The result of the procedure:
- Improves lymph flow and blood flow, fluid is actively circulating through the vessels.
- By improving blood circulation increases oxygen supply to the tissues, improves regeneration and vascular tone.
- By improving the lymphatic circulation is more active is cleared and is displayed between the cell fluid.
- Reduced swelling of the tissues around the vessels.
- Pressure vessels and valves is reduced, normalizing the blood flow.
Massage eliminates stagnation in the tissues of the lower extremities, its effect is similar to physical exercise, but has a more gentle and relaxing effect.
Features of classical massage
Classical massage of the lower extremities:
- the procedure produces, after putting the patient on a flat surface;
- in position "lying on back" to effectively relax the muscles under the knees and heels enclose the cushion, lifting the legs at an angle of 45 degrees;
- in the "prone" legs raise in the region of the foot;
- movement produced by the cream or oil to reduce the friction of the palms on the patient's skin;
- classic foot massage when varicose veins begin with stroking of the thighs and gluteal region, continue with ankle and foot done. Possible re-elaboration in a reverse direction;
- movement massage is directed upward (from the knee to the hip, from foot to knee);
- the group of motions includes the surface (the palm), and covering a continuous stroking (both palms), light rubbing of the surface of the leg, without touching the deep veins. Sometimes connect easy push motion;
- excluded any mechanical impact, no matter how slight, on the region with the visible manifestations of varicose veins: net or spider veins.
Therapeutic massage produces courses of 10-12 procedures, daily or every other day, preferred time – at the end of the day fatigue, edema, tension of the limbs is most pronounced and the effect of the procedure will be maximized.
During the procedure, the patient should not feel any pain or discomfort, in which case the procedure is best to cancel.
Features of lymph drainage massage
Lymph drainage massage of the lower extremities is characterized by very slow movements, as the speed of lymph outflow significantly reduced in comparison with the flow:
- The procedure produces, after putting the patient on a flat surface.
- In position "lying on back" under the knees and heels enclose a small roller to gently lift the leg.
- In the "prone" legs slightly raise in the region of the foot.
- For a lymph drainage massage does not have to use oil or cream, as the friction of the palms on the patient's skin is minimized.
- Start with the study of clusters of lymph nodes in the gluteal and femoral region, continue study of ankle and feet done.
- Group of movements includes light pressure with the surface of the palms on the region of the accumulations of the lymph nodes and slow grappled stroking the surface of the legs.
- Movement masseur directed downwards (from the hip to the knee, from the knee to the foot).
- It excludes any movements in the field of manifestations of varicose veins.
Lymph drainage massage produce courses for 15-18 treatments, start with one a week, increasing the number to 3, depending on the condition of the patient. Unpleasant or painful sensation is a contraindication for carrying out lymphatic drainage.
Contraindications for massage
Massage for varicose veins of the lower extremities is absolutely contraindicated in:
- all stages of varicose veins, except the beginning;
- thrombophlebitis, thrombosis;
- skin rashes, dermatitis;
- lymphadenitis (inflammation of lymph nodes);
- in infectious diseases;
- elevated temperature.
Do not use creams and oils with substances that increase the local temperature, for example, with extracts of ginger or pepper.