A detailed review of the use of compression underwear for varicose veins
Compression products from knitwear particularly density and different degrees of compression (pressure) used for the treatment and prevention of varicose veins.
When putting on the diseased limb, they create the outer frame that:
- supports weakened muscles of the Shin (here, venous blood flow is directly dependent on muscle tone);
- slightly compresses the blood vessels, not allowing them to be stretched;
- stimulates blood circulation and lymphatic drainage;
- stagnation of liquids.
Produce 6 types of compression hosiery:
- Tights (covering both legs from foot to thigh and ends at the waist).
- Stockings (for lower limb from the foot to the thigh).
- Socks (worn on the leg from the foot to the knee).
- Leg warmers (remember socks with no heel and sock).
- Socks (worn on the foot to the ankle).
- Sleeve (on the arm from wrist to shoulder).
The products have a certain degree of compression (pressure) at the level of the ankles (from here starts the difficult part of a reverse movement of venous blood), which is measured in mm Hg. article and expect, in terms of severity of varicose veins. The compression jerseys can be prophylactic (low pressure – class 1) or medical (with high pressure 2, 3, 4 class).
Not to say that stockings better than pantyhose or socks – linen and the degree of compression for the treatment and prevention of chooses the doctor-angiosurgeon or phlebologist in, he makes the conclusion on the basis of medical history, examination findings and individual testimonies.
How does compression underwear
When varicose veins first affected lower limbs, the blood easily flows from the heart through the arteries down, but up, through my veins, rising with some effort. Reverse flow is provided by several mechanisms:
- by the heart's contractions, which are "pushing" the blood, causing it to circulate in the vascular system;
- the vein valves, which lock the blood in the portion of the vessel, to stop it moving in a reverse direction;
- regular contractions of the muscles of the Shin and thigh (muscle pump), which forms a kind of supporting framework for blood vessels, gently squeeze them and helping to push blood upward from the legs to the hips and pelvis. Their erosion is one of the main mechanisms for the formation of varicose veins.
Compression hosiery is designed to perform the functions of the muscle pump and frame. Squeezing the foot in a certain place (at the ankle) stronger, others slightly weaker (drumstick, thigh) it:
- provides optimal exposure to all areas of the feet;
- normalizes the bloodstream, helping blood to move from the bottom up;
- gently squeezing the muscles, increases the tone of the vascular walls does not allow them to be stretched;
- narrows the lumen of the damaged veins, helping to redistribute some of the blood in healthy blood vessels;
- normalizes the valve apparatus;
- stimulates lymph circulation, eliminating swelling and congestion;
- reduces the load on the diseased vein.
Normalizing the circulation of the lower limbs, a properly chosen compression stockings performs several functions:
- Improves metabolism and nutrition of tissues.
- Prevents the development of complications (vascular thrombosis, tissue death due to oxygen starvation).
- Relieves symptoms (pain, itching, swelling of the after the working day).
- Prevent a relapse (re-appearance) of varicose veins after surgery.
- Creates difficulties for the treatment to carry (if needed) – external funds can be applied over the product.
It is important to choose the linen on the recommendation of the doctor-phlebologist, he calculate the time during which you want to wear it, and will prescribe a comprehensive treatment (without wearing medical hosiery inefficient).
Types of lingerie
Kind of knitwear chosen depending on the location of the main manifestations, the product should be 15-20 cm above the varicose:
- Tights used in the lose of both legs from calf to thigh and signs of stagnation in the pelvis (dilated veins and varices in the groin, hemorrhoids), they are useful for the prevention of varicose veins during pregnancy and weightlifting. Tights for pregnant women there is a special bandage for the belly, which supports but does not compress it.
- Compression underwear for varicose veins of the stockings usually choose when it comes to recovery after surgery to remove the veins (from shins to hips) on one leg and they are easier to remove and put on (compared to tights).
- Stockings and socks for prevention and treatment of varicose veins of the legs, if the nodes and the affected vein has not risen to the knee.
- Use socks to improve blood flow in the region of the ankle joint (ankle).
- Sleeves eliminate lymphostasis pronounced (stagnation of lymph, edema) after surgery, trauma, infectious polyarthritis (joint inflammation).
Contraindications and complications
Have compression clothes, there is a contraindications, it is strongly not recommended to use in:
- Atherosclerotic changes of the vessel wall (the formation of cholesterol plaques).
- Occlusive morbo (inflammation of the inner walls of peripheral vessels of lower extremities).
- Thromboangiitis (inflammation of the vascular walls with formation of blood clot).
All diseases are characterized by narrowing of the lumen of blood vessels (due to cholesterol plaques or inflammation of the vascular wall), increased pressure on the limb may exacerbate the metabolic and gas exchange in the tissues and cause necrosis (necrosis).
Wrong choice of the compression ratio, the type of knit and wear can worsen the condition of the veins and will trigger the development of complications (thrombosis, thrombophlebitis, trophic ulcers).
How to wear linen
There are rules that need to adhere to wearing compression hosiery:
- underwear in the morning, after sleep, not getting out of bed;
- the legs must be dry;
- if you have the need to wear knitwear during the day – you need to lie on your back (no pillow) and lift the leg for 15-10 minutes, placing under the foot cushion (at an angle of 40° to the body);
- stocking or Golf hands is collected in the "accordion" to the heel;
- the remaining free knitted sock worn on the fingers feet;
- fix the heel (it is located exactly at the anatomical heel should not slip, "pull" left or right);
- linen to evenly distribute the leg, from the ankle to the thigh;
- watch that it does not overlap, is not formed folds;
- the upper part of the stockings (from the thigh to the waist) to wear, lifting the pelvis, getting out of bed.
How to care for knit
Good medical knitwear:
- Must be seamless to ensure a uniform pressure on the surface of the skin.
- Must be hypoallergenic so you can use it in the hot season.
- Special weaving yarns made of cotton, lycra and microfiber in different percentages regulates the gas exchange and the temperature of the skin, allowing it to "breathe" and not overheat.
- Expiration dates have compression hosiery from 5 to 7 months, longer its use is not recommended, as it loses its properties (stretched).
How long to wear?
Duration of wearing the compression underwear is determined by the individual needs and doctor's recommendations:
- Preventive knitwear are recommended to wear throughout the pregnancy (taking off at night), and in the early stages of varicose veins to wear to work (if it is related to load on the legs), Hiking, flying a plane and other situations that can trigger the development of varicose veins.
- Medical are only for indications and prescription. After surgery continuous wear time can range from 2-3 days to 30 days. Intermittently – up to 4 months or more.
After extended wear remove clothes gradually: first night, then time increase, bringing the breaks to several days, and removed at all.
Compression underwear helps to treat varicose veins only in combination with other medicines, otherwise the effect will be temporary and unstable.
To get used to knit, learn how to wear and care for, at first, recommended to choose a cheap product.